Saturday, April 29, 2006

 
Got the Appalachian Trail dipole put together. I used an MFJ 33' fiberglass pole to hang it up on. That put the feedpoint roughly 30' off the ground. I had the legs in a rough "inverted vee" configuration. The end insulators were about 6 feet off the ground.

The first attempt was resonant with an SWR of 1.3:1 at 6.8 MHz.

I shortened it up another 1.5 ft and got really reasonable results.


Here is the SWR curve. The Y-Axis is SWR with 1.0 at the bottom and 0.2 unit intervals.

Since my three main operating frequencies on 40m are 7.060 and 7.250 and 7.2685 MHz that should work just peachy.

I called CQ both CW and SSB but nobody came back. Answered a CW from W7WE but he didn't hear me. Finally asked for a signal report from a group that had just broken up. Jim, K6SEK came back and gave me a 56 or a 57.

Jim is exotic DX. Aptos, CA. All of 20 miles away. Hi hi!

I'll have lessons learned from tuning and using the Appalachian Dipole later this evening...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?