Sunday, January 28, 2007

 
It's been a pretty good weekend.

Four main things to do:
  1. Unpack and smoke test the TS-790A
  2. Bring up the Dell sx/260
  3. Spend a bit of time in the RTTY Sprint contest
  4. Spend a bit of time in the CQ 160m CW contest.

+++++

I was able to open and smoke test the replacement TS-790A. All the lights came on. I would really like to rearrange the shack some to make "real" space available for this radio. It is too nice to be "hacked" into place.

+++++

Second I wanted to bring up the Dell SX/260 that I bought via ebay. Locals Jeff and JV had purchased a couple and deemed them a good deal. After playing with one, I agree.

The Dell sx/260 is pretty nice. Older machine. About the size of a college hardback dictionary. ~$250 on ebay. Moved all of my ham radio software over to it last night and this afternoon.

It maxes out at 144W rather than 300W (need to actually measure the draw). Should be much cheaper to run. It is also Windows XP, so it should be more stable than the other machine.

MMTTY
Installed and since I've been dealing with it on pretty much every computer I own it went flawlessly.

N1MM with CW
Same here.

AGWPE and TelPac
Pretty painless as well. Need to contact the AGWPE people to get another license key for the new computer.

+++++

BARTG RTTY Sprint

My results from playing around in the BARTG RTTY Sprint. Again, not serious, basically checking to make sure my MMTTY set-up was working right, and to hand out points.

BARTGRTTYS Score Summary Sheet

Start Date : 2007-01-29

Band : ALL
Power : LOW
Mode : RTTY
Club/Team : Northern California Constest Club
Software: N1MM Logger V7.1.1

Band QSOs Pts Cty Sec Cnt
7 7 7 0 1 0
14 18 18 4 11 2
28 1 1 1 1 1
Total 26 26 5 13 3


Score : 1,404

+++++

CQ 160m contest

And here are the results of my 160m hacking. This was far from a serious attempt.

CQ160CW Score Summary Sheet

Start Date : 2007-01-27

Power : LOW
Mode : CW

Club/Team : Northern California Constest Club
Software: N1MM Logger V7.0.0

Band QSOs Pts Sta Cty
1.8 27 57 9 0
Total 27 57 9 0


Score : 513
Most of the CW seemed "slow" and all of it was cope-able with. I felt fully comfortable engaging a contact without needing to listen to the exchange first. (Although it was nice if I could.) There were several times when I could make back-to-back minute exchanges.

I need to significantly improve my 160 antenna though...

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?